Be. Here. Now.

Wow! Did you know we are about to celebrate one year in our new congregation here in Jacksonville?! I'll admit my attitude about being in a big American congregation, was not very positive at first. We both were overwhelmed. So many times we wanted to run back to our little peaceful Ugandan group- a place where we felt safe and comfortable.

I remember about February last year I had visited my sister Megan's huge congregation for a couple weeks as we lived with them in Palm Coast. During the student assignments one night I got really emotional. I was feeling the sharp fresh pain of leaving Uganda. Certain little things just made me contrast and compare what it was like to be there. Every meeting in Uganda was exciting because you were often seeing new ones participate. The students took their assignments so seriously and handled them with such care. I looked at Megan with the tears starting to roll. She grabbed my hand and I asked her, "Will I ever love a congregation like I loved Mbarara congregation?"
"Yes." she whispered with a quiet confidence and a reassuring smile.
For moment I felt better. It was reassuring. But still so hard to imagine.

As a more introverted person, I'm always going to prefer being with less people. Any of you like that? However, when it comes to doing Jehovah's will my preferences come second. Preferences all too often hold us back from being all that we can be, and doing all we can do. Insisting on preferences I venture to say, could even hider Jehovah's holy spirit from working in us. So, I breath deep, push preference aside, I say my prayers, and take it one week at a time.

Now we both have really grown to love our big congregation. After a year we do feel apart of it. We still don't know everyone, despite our efforts to. Which is a reminder of how important a ministry within a congregation is. People are really struggling in this fast paced American life. Most are exhausted, stressed, sick, and it's all they can do to just get there, much less socialize. It's clear too in developed countries like here materialism is a huge hiddrence along with countless social expectations. We could see how people could easily just drift away. (Hebrews 2:1)  Keeping them tethered, is our job as brothers and sisters.

Sure, it's an incredible life changing experience to move where the need is great in foreign country....So many in the field in those places want to study the Bible, and hearts are often much more receptive. The love and appreciation they express, just fills you up with joy. And we would love to do it again, Jehovah willing. But if you can't do that, or even I'd say BEFORE you do that, we believe it's good to think about what you can do where you are. On the surface it may appear there's little to do. But look deeper, and you'll probably find there is so much more than you thought. Sometimes you can even do more than you could as a need greater somewhere. It's a great joy to bring people to know Jehovah, but what about those who already know him and are slipping away? Reminds me of what Paul said. "So, then, as long as we have the opportunity, let us work what is good toward all, but especially toward those related to us in the faith."-Galatians 6:10

And beside what you can do in your local congregation. With hard work there may be more to do in your field as well. We are seeing beautiful Bible studies come from our new territory. Most every Sunday our lovely students from South Sudan (a mother and adult son pictured below) have been attending meetings with us. We have several African studies with people from Rwanda and South Sudan. In addition we have some really nice studies with local people. By working "Not At Homes" thoroughly, making diligent attempts to return on interested ones, and even cultivating interest with coworkers, we've see there are many looking for answers and hugering for a relationship with God.

Our prayer is to stay focused and not become distracted by this busy life. Not easy! But we regularly talk to each other and Jehovah about our plans. We look forward to when we can soon apply for the "School for Kingdom Evangelizers". That is our goal and hope, Jehovah willing. But an immense, colossal, I'm talking tremendous, lesson I have learned is this: 
Be. Here. Now. 
Learn from the past. Look forward to the future. But live here now. I've made the mistake of living in the past, and jumping to the future too often that I missed so much of the present. No more! I refuse to miss out on this...

Martha & Samuel
Cool story. After receiving a publication Samuel went on JW.ORG. He just knew this was the word of God. So he filled in the online request form for the Dinka language. Since we have some experience with that language thanks to beautiful Sudanese refugees we had in Uganda, the request was sent to us. A study was started, and after just a few weeks they began attending the meetings with us! Samuel even comments every week! We just love them. Yakoba (Jehovah in Dinka) is surely drawing their beautiful hearts.

Our Lively Lovely Pioneers! 

Now with the memorial coming we meditate with appreciative hearts on all Jehovah has done for us. He is so good. Every memorial is so special. But something that makes this one particularly special is when I look at the man beside me, my loving husband. He's 33 this memorial. The age Jesus was when he gave his life. He feels so young, but has lived long enough to feel wise. He's really precious to more people than just me. I can't imagine him dying. But Jesus willingly did, and Jehovah allowed him to at this very age. I never thought about it like this before. It just really makes me grateful....





Comments

  1. Niki, I LOVE this post! I've been checking in frequently, hoping for an update. I appreciate your timely reminder to "Be. Here. Now." I also have the tendency to live in the past, jump to the future, and end up missing out on what's right in front of me.
    How true it is that there is always something we can do for Jehovah right where we are now. Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts and experiences! I thoroughly enjoy reading them and they are so uplifting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for reading! I'm glad to know you enjoy the blog and are uplifted by it. That's really it's purpose. :) And yes to live in the present enriches life. This last Sunday we had C.O visit, and his talk was about time. There were so many good points! "Living in the past, is like driving while looking to the rearview mirror.It's dangerous." And "The moment is all we have control of, so make use of the time flowing towards you. It's an investment in your future..."

      Delete
  2. Hey Sis, you don't know me personally, but my husband and I were also in Kitende with the million other need greaters there (Tasha, Allie, Kylah, Jayme) and like you, we thought we'd be in Uganda forever! But a trip home to Wisconsin almost exactly one year ago, for a visit, turned into moving back for the foreseeable future. I just wanted to thank you for perfectly writing how we have also felt, adjusting to the change, mourning the life we loved so much in Uganda, and trying our best to serve Jehovah happily no matter where that may be in the world. I'm so happy to hear that you feel like you're getting there and you're working hard to be here now. I just wanted to let you know that you're not alone in those feelings and that you have a sister in Wisconsin who's rooting for you to keep having a great attitude about the situation! Jehovah will surely bless your efforts! Christian love, Molly Overberg

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Molly! I'm so glad that you felt you could relate. It's a small group of people that can really understand what it's like to make this big change and all the complications that come with it. Thank you for your kind words. We are also rooting for you. May we all maintain true Joy that is always from the same source -Jehovah God. And may we all be like flowers who thrive in whatever soil they're planted in, even if we are planted in pots and not in the ground.;) Much love to you. Email me anytime if you need to a listening ear nikihiggins1@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Complete What You Started...

What Isaiah said...

The Best Feeling Ever...